Sunday, May 4, 2014

Shop projects and looking for a place to stay

Machining
My first semester in Machine Tech is winding down and I am finishing up the last bits that I have left. Don't have much to do now, just need to finish cutting a peg for the slot in the spring center and I will have finished my assigned projects.
So far I have finished a c-clamp and learned how to grind a high speed steel cutting tool.

The c-clamp! No where near perfect, but perfectly functional. I need to place a pad of some kind on the end of the screw, but I will probably buy a rubber foot for that.


This is the cutting tool. Took a HSS blank and ground the end into the proper shape. Works surprisingly well for being rather ugly...It actually leaves a better finish than the carbide tips we've been using on the lathes. The carbide will remove large quantities of material, but leaves a rougher finish.

The Big Move
We're getting closer to our planned move dates, and this week Isabeau and I will be working on a form email to send out to prospective rentals. I've been using a website called Padmapper, which consolidates rental listings from several different sources and displays them on Google maps.
Currently we've been looking at Tacoma and there are several apartments that are listed in North Tacoma, quite close to the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium (huge plus). So we'll be sending sending out feelers this week.

Also, if you don't already you should check out Isabeau's blog, The Weekly What-What.

No comments:

Post a Comment