Friday, January 31, 2014

Back to school, you lazy Wizard!

So classes started for me on Tuesday. I am taking two classes in the Machine Technology department, Shop Math and Drawing (blueprints), and Introduction to Machine Technology. These have me on campus on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Both of my teachers are brand new and have never taught before, and I get the feeling that they were both just thrown in without much preparation. Still, after the first day I have hopes for the guy running the Intro class because he seems much more collected and sure of himself, while the other guy just seems frazzled. I glad though, because I'd much prefer that the guy running all the hands on stuff involving machines that can kill you be the one who isn't distracted thank you very much. I hope that the other teacher will be fine once things get under way and he can work his way into the gig.

Our first classes were pretty much uneventful. We went over basic shop safety in the intro class, which basically boiled  down to, wear your safety glasses and ear protection, no long sleeves, no jewelry, and for the love of god don't stick your hands into anything while its on! Failure to follow the basic guidelines will result in death, dismemberment, or just simple maiming. Oh, and we toured the shop, which was quite cool.
Basically we did nothing in the math class. Second day, math started with a refresher. Simple grade school arithmetic. Then super low level algebra. Then straight to, apparently, Trigonometry with no real explanations. Fun! I have never taken Trig! I have no idea what he is talking about! Also, there were drawings! And no one has any of the required books, because the bookstore never received any information from the department. Fortunately, the Intro class went much better. We spent all night looking at calipers and micrometers, and learning how to read them, which is slightly more difficult than it sounds, but easy once you get the hang of it.

Next week should be interesting.

Also, I took some pictures of the shop, which looks like it is still being cleaned and organized.




That's all folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment